At this time of year it can be hard to know what to wear, one minute it’s sunny but chilly and the next minute it’s raining or even snowing! I like to be practical when it comes to my winter outfits and laying is a convenient way of staying warm and dry during the colder months.
Wearing several layers means it’s easy to stay cosy and allows you to cool off simply by removing a layer or two when you get too hot. Layering has the extra bonus of allowing you to extend the life of your wardrobe as you can wear spring and summer pieces all year round, adding some fun colour to an otherwise dreary season.
If you find you’re missing a couple of key pieces then Simply Be has an extensive range of pieces which make layering easy. I love their knitwear like the fab teal V Neck Dropped Shoulder Jumper I am wearing in the photo below.
Here are a few top tips for layering this winter:
- Keep a couple of polo neck (roll neck) jumpers handy, you can wear them under dresses and shirts. Choose dark colours which are perfect for wearing beneath print and colourful tops.
- Another key piece is the white shirt; it’s perfect for wearing under or over a dress, tucked into trousers or under a jacket. It pretty much goes with everything!
- Don’t be afraid to wear jeans under dresses in the colder months for a street style look.
- If it’s one of those days when you can’t decide if it’s going to be really cold or not why not wear an extra layer around your waist just in case; a light jacket will do. Or wear a jumper around your shoulders for a preppy but practical way to add extra knitwear.
- Speaking of knitwear, don’t be afraid to wear more than one layer. Choose fine knit pieces which will fit under jackets and coats. You can easily strip off a layer if it warms up.
- In case of rain grab a lightweight mac instead of a thicker overcoat to wear over a blazer or jacket so you will be prepared.
- Wear a faux fur coat over a tailored jacket to add texture to winter looks.
- A look I have been rocking recently has been the black hoodie (the Hooded Sportive Cardigan from Simply Be), under a jacket which is apparently a popular look in Scandinavia.
- Whilst layering is great to keep you warm and offer flexibility, you don’t want to end up looking shapeless, be sure to keep a silhouette shape by using a belt.